South Florida Drug Crimes Lawyer – West Palm Beach Drug Crimes Lawyer
If you have been arrested or are under investigation for state or federal drug charges, there are things you need to know:
- State and federal laws provide for aggressive prosecution of drug trafficking, drug possession and other drug related offenses.
- Criminal penalties related to drug charges have become increasingly severe and there are a number of offenses which trigger minimum mandatory sentencing schemes.
- A state conviction for narcotics possession and other related offenses will result in your driver’s license being suspended for a period of 2 years.
- The Civil Asset Forfeiture Reform Act of 2000 allows assets to be seized or forfeited for drug offenses.
- In many instances, it only takes a minimal amount of narcotics to elevate a criminal scoresheet to the point that you are facing prison time, even for a first offense. For example, the threshold amounts of prescription pills which trigger minimum mandatory sentences are particularly low in Florida, a result of Florida getting tough on the prescription pill epidemic. This approach has resulted in thousands of Floridians being incarcerated in prison for substance abuse-related offense conduct without regard to the necessity of drug treatment and the wastefulness of state resources spent incarcerating nonviolent drug offenders.
- A conviction on your record for narcotics could have other consequences which are not immediately cognizable to you, such as:
- trouble obtaining a student loan
- denial of rental housing
- trouble adopting or fostering a child
- possible denial of your right to vote and the right to bear arms
West Palm Beach drug crimes defense lawyer Nellie L. King possesses considerable experience representing defendants on all types of drug charges. Contact West Palm Beach Drug Defense Crimes Lawyer Nellie L. King at 561-833-1084, available 24 hours a day, or fill out a form on the side of this page to schedule your free initial consultation.
Defense on All Drug Charges
West Palm Beach drug crimes defense lawyer Nellie L. King handles all types of drug-related offenses, including possession, drug trafficking, sale and distribution, manufacturing, cultivation, conspiracy and importation. We fight charges involving all types of controlled substances, such as prescription drugs, club drugs, marijuana, crack, cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, meth/ methamphetamines, hallucinogens, and Rohypnol. We also defend people charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and manufacturing equipment.
Defense Strategies in Drug Crimes Cases
Drug crimes defense lawyer Nellie L. King thoroughly reviews her cases to determine the best strategy to combat Florida’s draconian drug sentencing laws within the unique factual circumstances of your case. Among the issues Attorney King routinely challenges and investigates are:
- The Stop: Is there a Fourth Amendment basis to challenge the search and seizure of your vehicle or person? Was the initial contact with law enforcement constitutionally permissible or did the officer simply go on a fishing expedition without justification? Did the police have the right to stop you?
- The Arrest: Did the police have probable cause to arrest you?
- The Drugs: Where were the drugs found? Were there other people within close proximity to the drugs? Whose drugs were confiscated? Is there physical evidence such as fingerprints to prove who had possession or control over the drugs? Were the drugs located in an area where you had an ability to reach them?
- The Prescription: Were the drugs obtained under a valid prescription?
- The Behavior of Law Enforcement: Did the police utilize entrapment in order to ensnare you in unlawful conduct you had no intention of participating in but for the conduct by law enforcement? Did the police use a confidential informant in order to make the arrest? Was surveillance used as a tactic in your investigation?
- Confession: Did you make any statements to police? Were these statements recorded? Did the police read you your rights?
In any criminal case, especially one that relates to drug crimes, it is imperative that the accused hire an attorney as soon as possible. Even if a person has already been interviewed by law enforcement, a good defense lawyer can make the difference between years of jail time or none at all. If you are facing prosecution for a drug charge, the decisions you make now can literally affect the rest of your life.
Contact West Palm Beach Drug Defense Crimes Lawyer Nellie L. King at 561-833-1084, available 24 hours a day, or fill out a form on the side of this page to schedule your free initial consultation.
Florida has a reputation for being one of the harshest states in terms of marijuana and other drug possession laws. In fact, Florida state sentencing laws can be more stringent than those imposed by the federal government. This means that, even if you are only caught with a small amount of narcotics, this is not something you should simply shrug off. A drug arrest and conviction will remain on your record and can result in prison time, even for minor offenses. Even if you are carrying only 20 grams of marijuana or less, you could be facing severe consequences which could follow you for a lifetime.
Contact Nellie L. King, P.A. at 561-833-1084, available 24 hours a day, or fill out a form on the side of this page to schedule your free initial consultation.